Saturday, December 24, 2011

Sungha Jung - The Winner Takes It All (ABBA)



"The Winner Takes It All" is a song recorded by Swedish pop group ABBA. Released as the first single from the group's Super Trouper album on July 21, 1980, it is a ballad in the key of F-sharp major, reflecting the end of a romance. The single's B-side was the non-album track "Elaine".


"The Winner Takes It All", originally "The Story of My Life", was written by both Björn Ulvaeus & Benny Andersson, with Agnetha Fältskog singing the lead vocal. The lyrics to the song were thought to mirror the divorce between Ulvaeus and Fältskog in 1979, similar to the song "When All Is Said and Done", which details the divorce between Anni-Frid Lyngstad and Benny Andersson.

Ulvaeus denies this, saying the basis of the song "is the experience of a divorce, but it's fiction. There wasn't a winner or a loser in our case. A lot of people think it's straight out of reality, but it's not". American critic Chuck Klosterman, who says "The Winner Takes It All" is the only pop song that examines the self-aware guilt one feels when talking to a person who has humanely obliterated your heart" finds Ulvaeus' denial hard to believe in light of the original title.

In a 1999 poll for Channel Five, "The Winner Takes It All" was voted Britain's favourite ABBA song. This feat was replicated in a 2010 poll for ITV. In a 2006 poll for a Channel Five programme, "The Winner Takes It All" was voted "Britain's Favourite Break-Up Song."

A music video to promote the song was filmed in July 1980.

"The Winner Takes It All" was yet another major success for ABBA. It hit #1 in Belgium (where it stayed on top for 2 months), United Kingdom, Ireland, the Netherlands, and South Africa, while reaching the Top 10 elsewhere throughout the world, including the United States. In the US, it peaked at #8 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, ABBA's fourth and last American Top 10 hit, and was also the group's second Billboard AC #1 (after "Fernando"). "The Winner Takes It All" was also a hit in Brazil: it was included on the soundtrack of a very famous soap opera in 1980 called "Coração Alado" ("Winged Heart") as the main theme.
"The Winner Takes It All" was also featured in the ABBA-based musical & film, Mamma Mia!.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Winner_Takes_It_All




*     Tabbed by     *
* Chris Williscroft *



The Winner Takes It All                          - ABBA
=======================
Capo: 4
Intro:|D   |Bm7   |Em   |A   |D   |Bm7   |Em   |A   |
(Main theme at bottom)

              D                           A
I don't wanna talk about the things we've gone through
                    Em                 A
Though it's hurting me, now it's history
                   D                             A
I've played all my cards, and that's what you've done too
                Em                  A          
Nothing more to say, no more ace to play        
           D                       Bm7
The winner takes it all, the loser standing small
           Em                   A
Beside the victory - that's her destiny


             D                   A
I was in your arms, thinking I belonged there
                  Em                   A
I figured it made sense, building me a fence
              D                     A
Building me a home, thinking I'd be strong there
            Em                   A
But I was a fool, playing by the rules


             D                            Bm7
The gods may throw a dice, their minds as cold as ice
            Em                          A
And someone way down here loses someone dear


           D                       Bm7
The winner takes it all, the loser has to fall
            Em                            A
It's simple and it's plain - why should I complain?


                     D                   A
But tell me does she kiss like I used to kiss you?
                 Em                  A
Does it feel the same, when she calls your name?
                 D                      A
Somewhere deep in-side, you must know I miss you
               Em                  A
But what can I say? Rules must be obeyed.


                D                    Bm7
The judges will decide, the likes of me abide
           Em                          A
Spectators of the show, always staying low


            D                  Bm7
The game is on again - a lover or a friend
            Em                               A
A big thing or a small - the winner takes it all


              D                     A
I don't wanna talk, if it makes you feel sad
           Em                              A
And I understand - you've come to shake my hand
       D                    A
I apologize if it makes you feel bad
             Em                   A
Seeing me so tense - no self-confidence


                        D              Bm7  |
But you see, the winner takes it all        |(Repeat to fade-out)
           Em               A               |
The winner takes it all...                  |

============================================
Main theme:
   D        Bm7      Em       A
e:|-7-6-4--|-4------|-9-7-6-4|--------|
B:|-------7|---7-6-4|--------|-7-6-4--|- repeat as necessary, and
G:|--------|--------|--------|-------6|   try to to strum chords at
D:|4-------|--------|6-------|--------|   same time
A:|--------|6-------|--------|4-------|
E:|--------|--------| -------|--------|

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/a/abba/the_winner_takes_it_all_tab.htm


I don't wanna talk about things we've gone through,

Though it's hurting me, now it's history.
I've played all my cards and that's what you've done too,
Nothing more to say, no more ace to play.
The winner takes it all,
The loser standing small beside the victory, that's her destiny.

I was in your arms thinking I belonged there,
I figured it made sense, building me a fence,
Building me a home, thinking I'd be strong there,
But I was a fool, playing by the rules.
The gods may throw a dice, their minds as cold as ice,
And someone way down here loses someone dear.

The winner takes it all, the loser has to fall,
It's simple and it's plain, why should I complain.

But tell me, does she kiss like I used to kiss you,
Does it feel the same when she calls your name.
Somewhere deep inside you must know I miss you,
But what can I say, rules must be obeyed.
The judges will decide the likes of me abide,
Spectators of the show always staying low.

The game is on again, a lover or a friend,
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

I don't wanna talk if it makes you feel sad,
And I understand you've come to shake my hand.
I apologize if it makes you feel bad seeing me so tense, no self confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About

Blogger templates